Skip to main content

Military Housing

The Canadian Forces Housing Agency manages military housing on behalf of the Department of National Defence. They are responsible for the maintenance and allocation of nearly 11,800 homes at 27 locations across the country.

Residential Housing Units (RHU) FAQs

  • Do all Bases have RHU’s?

    No.  Military housing is available at 27 locations across Canada. They are: 

    Comox B.C., Esquimalt B.C., Masset B.C., Cold Lake AB, Edmonton AB, Suffield AB, Wainwright AB, Dundurn SK, Moose Jaw SK, Shilo MB, Winnipeg MB, North Bay ON, Petawawa ON, Ottawa ON, Borden ON, Trenton ON, Kingston ON, Montreal QC, Valcartier, QC, Bagotville QC, Gagetown NB, Greenwood NS, Halifax NS, Gander NL, Goose Bay NL, Iqaluit NU, Yellowknife NWT.

  • When can I apply for an RHU?
    Once you’ve received your posting message, you can fill out an application for military housing. You can submit your application either online (Apply for housing)   or submit your completed application by email or fax to the Housing Services Centre where you are applying.
  • How are RHU’s allocated?

    CFHA allocates DND housing to eligible applicants on a first-come, first-served basis according to household size and availability, as per DND policies. The allocation of DND housing is based on a priority system: 

    Priority 1 – authorized to move at public expense 

    • Regular Canadian Armed Forces members 
    • Reserve Force members employed full-time and least on a 6-month contract 
    • foreign military or exchange personnel 

    Priority 2 – Regular Canadian Armed Forces members and Reserve Canadian Armed Forces members employed full-time and at least on a 6-month contract who already live in the area but have applied to move into DND housing. This includes members currently living in military housing that have a change in household size and would like to move into a different-size unit. CFHA will consider Priority 2 applicants after Priority 1 applicants have been allocated a suitable residential housing unit in accordance with their household size. 

    Priority 3 – Government of Canada employees who would like to move into military housing. They are considered opportunity occupants and will only be considered when surplus housing exists that exceeds current and projected needs. Should the homes be needed for Priority 1 occupants, CFHA will give the opportunity occupants at least 30 days to vacate. This group includes: 

    • employees of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police 
    • indeterminate Public Service employees working in support of the Department of National Defence 
    • full-time Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services employees 
    • indeterminate employees of other Government of Canada departments 
    • Department of National Defence contractors on contracts over 6 months 
  • If I am a Priority 1 and there is a waitlist can I move my family to a different residence while waiting for an RHU to become available?
    Yes you can.  However, if you are moving at public expense (Priority 1) and accept your household goods and effects (HG&E) at a residence before you are allocated a DND residential housing unit, you will then become a Priority 2 applicant. Priority 2 applicants will only be considered after all Priority 1 applicants have been allocated a suitable residential housing unit in accordance with their household size.
  • What is the shelter charge (rent) for RHU’s?
    According to the Department of National Defence (DND) Living Accommodation Instruction, shelter charge (rent) for all DND housing must reflect local rental market values for similar rental units. This helps to ensure fairness and equity for CAF families, regardless of whether they choose to live in the private sector marketplace or in DND housing. CAF members residing in RHUs can submit paperwork, in accordance with military housing regulations, aligning their monthly RHU rental rates to not exceed 25% of their gross monthly familial income.
  • Are there specific terms and conditions I need to be aware of if I live in an RHU?
    Yes, there are. Upon arrival for move-in, a Housing Services Centre (HSC) representative will provide an orientation briefing. It is the HSC representative’s responsibility to provide the Occupant Handbook and the Licence to Occupy for signature as well as the keys to the residential housing unit (RHU) to the new Occupant of Record.  
  • Am I eligible for an RHU if I don’t have full custody of my children but they visit me every second weekend?
    CFHA follows the members posting message that lists their dependants. As long as the children are listed, CFHA will allocate the RHU by number of occupants. 
  • Can I have pets in an RHU?
    Occupants may keep certain pets on the premises; however, CFHA will limit the kind and number of pets permitted. If you are a pet owner or would like to adopt a pet, please refer to the CFHA Responsible pet ownership Instruction for more details. 
  • Is there a way to see RHU floor plans online?
    No.  Floor plans are sent out at time of allocation so the Member can plan. As there is usually a waiting list, Members do not have the option of picking and choosing. 
  • Are there accessible RHU’s?
    There are homes that have been modified to meet the needs of occupants with disabilities at most housing locations. Existing housing and barrier-free housing needs are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the local Housing Services Centre to talk about your requirements.
  • My child is allergic to smoke. Are there any non-smoking RHU’s?
    There are no non-smoking RHU’s.
  • Does the CFHA have an approved vendor list for things such as air duct cleaning, lawn care or window cleaning?
    There is no approved vendor list for services provided by civilian companies.
  • If an emergency causes me to vacate my RHU, is there temporary housing available?
    Some locations have emergency housing that can be utilized if it is available at that time. Occupants are required to have insurance which should help house them in an emergency.